CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS!
What the Program Offers
The Maricopa County Sheriffs Office Explorer Program gives young adults the chance to;
- Learn the duties and procedures of MCSO Deputies. This includes being taught how to conduct vehicle stops, building searches, handcuff and search suspects, patrol activities, firearms training, traffic law, accident investigation, and even riding alongside deputies during actual patrol.
- Understand how different parts of the Sheriffs office function together. Explorers are taught how the jails are operated and how K-9, Air Support, SWAT, Communications, etc… are used in conjunction with patrol. This normally includes giving Explorers a chance to tour various county facilities.
- Compete with different Explorer Posts from agencies across the state as well as the country in law enforcement-related scenarios. Each year Explorers are given the chance to travel to different cities to attend Law Enforcement Exploring Academies and conferences.
- Develop leadership skills, self-confidence, maturity and discipline. Explorers are given the chance to advance in rank by testing for the position of sergeant, lieutenant, captain, or commander of the post. With each rank/title attained, the Explorers are challenged by being put in a leadership role within the program. Explorers also must maintain a uniform and pass inspection by Deputies and Explorer leadership.
- Must be 14 to 18 years of age. (14 years old is acceptable only if you have graduated from eighth grade). Explorers may age out upon reaching their 21st birthday
- Must be in good physical and mental condition
- Must have a good moral character
- Must not have felony or serious misdemeanor convictions or major traffic violations
- Must have a 2.0 (C) grade point average or better in school
- Must complete an application and pass a background investigation, physical fitness test, written test, and oral board
- Must have written permission from parents or legal guardian to join the explorer program if you are under the age of eighteen (18) years
- Must attend at least 80% of all Explorer Meetings and Activities
- Must be willing to commit to the Explorer Code and exemplify the professional image of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.
To learn more about the program in your area, click on the squad your interested in below
For any questions regarding squad assignments or additional questions contact the lead advisor at (602) 876-4434 or send an email from the contact tab above.
3325 W. Durango St. Phoenix AZ 85009 (Enforcement Support Facility – Durango St. approximately 1/2 mile east of 35th Ave on the south side).
WEST VALLEY SQUAD
6997 N. Glen Harbor Blvd. Glendale, AZ 85307 (West-MEC Campus – Glendale Ave approximately 1/2 mile west of Loop 101 on the south side).
NORTH VALLEY SQUAD
3701 W. Anthem Way, Anthem, AZ 85086 (Anthem Civic Building – S/W corner of Anthem Way & Venture Dr.).
EAST VALLEY SQUAD
1840 S. Lewis, Mesa, AZ 85210 (MCSO District One Sub-station – Mesa Drive & Javalina Ave).