CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS!
Next Orientation will be Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 6PM located at our Enforcement Support Building (3325 W. Durango St, Phoenix AZ 85009) – Be sure to bring your application and a parent or guardian if you are under 18 years old.
Click below to download a copy of the application
What the Program Offers
The Maricopa County Sheriffs Office Explorer Program gives young adults the chance to;
- Learn the duties and procedures of MCSO Deputies. This includes being taught how to conduct vehicle stops, building searches, handcuff and search suspects, patrol activities, firearms training, traffic law and accident investigation, etc…
- Understand how different parts of the Sheriffs office function together. Explorers are taught how the jails are operated and how K-9, Air Support, SWAT, Communications, etc… are used in conjunction with patrol. This normally includes giving Explorers a chance to tour various county facilities.
- Compete with different Explorer Posts from agencies across the state as well as the country in law enforcement-related scenarios. Each year Explorers are given the chance to travel to different cities to attend Law Enforcement Exploring Academies and conferences.
- Develop leadership skills, self-confidence, maturity and discipline. Explorers are given the chance to advance in rank by testing for the position of sergeant, lieutenant and captain for the post. With each rank/title attained, the Explorers are challenged by being put in a leadership role within the program. Explorers also must maintain a uniform and pass inspection by Deputies and Explorer leadership.
- Be 14 to 18 years of age. (14 years old is acceptable only if you have graduated from eighth grade). Explorers may age out upon reaching their 21st birthday
- Must be in good physical and mental condition
- Have a good moral character
- No felony or serious misdemeanor convictions or major traffic violations
- Must have a 2.0 (C) grade point average in school
- Complete an application and pass a background investigation, physical fitness test, written test, and oral board
- Must have written permission from parents or legal guardian to join the explorer program if you are under the age of eighteen (18) years
- Must attend at least 80% of all Explorer Meetings and Activities
- Be willing to commit to the Explorer Code and exemplify the professional image of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.
For any further questions you can contact Deputy Tom Hughes at (602) 876-4434 or send an email from the Contact tab above.